We are currently looking to appoint a Learning and Engagement Intern. To apply for this position please send a CV and a one page covering letter outlining your relevant experience and interest in the post to Learning and Engagement Curator Sharon Byrne by midday on Monday 20 August 2018.
Learning and Engagement Intern
Focal Point Gallery is looking for a highly motivated individual to support the Learning and Engagement Curator in delivering Focal Point Gallery’s learning programme and audience engagement strategy, over a six months period from September to March.
Focal Point Gallery’s Learning and Engagement Internship programme is designed to provide training in the development and delivery of the Learning programme, along with audience engagement and FPG gallery procedures. The Intern will be working with all staff, but predominantly the Interim Director and Learning and Engagement Curator.
The Intern will be based and trained at the gallery on Thursdays and Saturdays. These are
fixed days. The Intern position will be paid at a rate of £60.00 per day.
The opportunity will provide an insight into the following: learning programme scheduling, planning and delivery of workshops, press and marketing, front of house, audience development, community relationship development, fundraising, and event management. In conversation with the Director and Learning and Engagement Curator, the Intern will also conduct curatorial research for the forthcoming learning programme. The Intern will be mainly based at the gallery’s reception area and act as the first point of contact for our visitors when the gallery is open.
Focal Point Gallery is committed to making the Internship enjoyable and rewarding. We aim to provide the opportunity for the intern to benefit from specific training in areas of interest.
Applications are encouraged from a broad and diverse background.
Overview of Duties
• In conversation with the Director and Learning and Engagement Curator, the Intern will conduct curatorial research for the forthcoming exhibition
and related learning programme.
• Supporting the Learning and Engagement Curator to keep paper and electronic files up-to-date and in good order, alongside updating databases.
• Supporting the Learning and Engagement Curator in collating and writing copy for funding applications.
• Supporting the Learning and Engagement Curator in production of evaluation reports and collating data.
• In consultation with the Learning and Engagement Curator, the intern will book artists, speakers and volunteers for the workshop, learning and engagement programme.
• In consultation with the Learning and Engagement Curator, assist during installation of learning displays and occasionally exhibition installations, tasks may include painting, hanging work, running errands and general cleaning.
• In consultation with the Director and Learning and Engagement Curator, design and coordinate printed and email flyers.
• Assist in organising learning events, delivery of workshops and other gallery and offsite events, including rotas for volunteers and front desk.
Uploading and organisation of photographic documentation of learning events.
• Research, liaise and develop FPG learning events with national and regional events, e.g. Engage, Big Draw, Family Arts Festivals, Arts Awards.
• First point of contact for visitors and general public. • Manage front of house; making sure that phone, email, printed material is in order.
• Record visitor numbers.
• Keep gallery clean / tidy and prepare for any events.
• An interest in and commitment to contemporary visual arts.
• An interest in increasing knowledge and understanding of all aspects of gallery work.
• An interest in gallery learning, public and community events.
• Very good verbal and written communication skills.
• Basic computer skills, including experience of using Word, Excel, email programmes and the Internet. Experience in using PC computers is desirable.
• A good team player, hands-on and independent with a friendly manner.
• A dependable and punctual
• Flexible and willing to work on Saturdays and some evenings.
Throughout the course of our public programme, Focal Point Gallery offer volunteer opportunities to undertake experience in the support of multiple activities that are central to the functioning of the gallery. These include events, workshops, offsite projects and numerous other activities.
For more information, please email